This cake got a little round of applause at a barbeque on Saturday – well done cake!!
What you need:
250g wholewheat flour
120ml vegetable oil
2 large plums or 3 small ones
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 Lady Grey teabag
200g icing sugar
What you need to do:
1.Heat the oven to 180C.
2. Mix the sugar and oil together with a spoon.
3. Crack the eggs into this mixture one at a time beating them in.
4. In a separate bowl mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder together.
5. Start pouring the flour mixture into the oil and sugar mixture stirring as you pour.
6. Cut the plums into 0.5cm slices.
7. Grease a cake tin with vegetable oil (using a spatula or kitchen roll to spread in onto the sides) and pour two thirds of the cake mixture into it.
8. Lay all but four of the plum slices on the mixture, pour the rest of the mixture on top in the centre so that some of the plum slices are still exposed at the sides, and lay the four remaining slices on the top.
9. Bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes until a skewer or knife comes out clean.
10. Whilst the cake is baking and creating scrummy smells boil the kettle and make a very short and strong Lady Grey tea (50ml). Remove the teabag and pour the icing sugar in stirring as you go. The icing should be pourable but not too loose.
11. Once the cake has cooled pour the icing on top and it’s ready to be devoured!