Happy Easter! These little egg shaped biscuits look like mini Easter eggs but taste like rich dark chocolatey shortbread. The addition of cream to the ingredients makes them extra light and crumbly. They would be perfect for a homemade Easter present in a nest of streamers in a bag tied with string. Add ground almonds to the icing to give a hint of Simnel cake.
What you need:
50g brown sugar
30g cocoa powder
2 dessert spoons cream
100g plain flour
100g icing sugar
Food colouring: pink and green
20g ground almond
Pretty loose floral tea
What you need to do:
1. Heat the oven to 180C (fan) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Put the butter, sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl and cream together with a fork.
3. Add the cream and combine, then add the flour and combine well.
4. Take bits of the mixture and roll into balls the size of a large marble. Then roll again to make them slightly oblong, now squish them between the palms of your hands and they will be the shape of an egg!
5. Bake them in the heated oven for 10 -12 minutes.
6. Whilst they’re baking you can make the icing. Simply put some icing sugar in a bowl and add a touch of water. Only drip the water in as a tiny amount will absorb a lot of icing sugar. Mix with a spoon until the consistency is smooth but still quite stiff.
7. Divide the icing into three bowls and add pink and green food colouring to two and ground almonds to the third.
8. Once the biscuits have baked let them cool, then dribble the icing on top. Stick some pretty tea leaves on some – this looks great!