Here’s the recipe for the muffins of the windy picnic at Joss Bay. Choose the cheese and herbs at your whim. Goat’s cheese would be good. I also made them with mascarpone, you need to put the mascarpone in the centre and cover it with batter then place the mushroom on top otherwise the mascarpone will boil off in the oven.
Takes 25 minutes // Makes 8
What you need:
80g unsalted butter
1 dessert spoon sunflower oil
A scrunch of salt and a twist of pepper
2 dessert spoons thyme
150g self-raising flour
8 small mushrooms
50g emmental, sliced into chunks
A muffin tray
What you need to do:
1. Heat the oven to 180C and grease the muffin tray with sunflower oil.
2. Put the mushrooms on a roasting tray whole in the oven for about 10 minutes. (Once done remove and put to one side.)
3. Whilst the mushrooms are roasting cream the butter with a fork but not too well, don’t make it too smooth please!
4. Beat the eggs into the butter but keeping a few blobs of butter.
5. Add the dessert spoon of sunflower oil and stir.
6. Sprinkle the salt, pepper and thyme on top and stir.
7. Stir the flour in and combine well.
8. Dollop a dessert spoonful of the batter into each muffin niche.
9. Spike about three chunks of Emmental into each muffin and place a mushroom on top.
10. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
You could add a sprinkling of rock salt on top at the end. Great eaten on a windy beach!