Inspired by someone I worked on a project with I decided to write this post with completely useless instructions. Yes, that’s right. Useless! Here they are:
How to make these cakes in 5 steps!
How were your cakes?! Did you enjoy them? Did they turn out just like mine? Or did you feel like you needed a bit more information? Such as…perhaps…dare I suggest, descriptions? On what to do? I thought so! Here are my instructions on how to make these cardamom cakes with sticky chocolate icing. The marbled cardamom and chocolate cake I devoured at the wonderful Earthy was my inspiration.
Makes 10 // Takes 30 minutes to prepare // 15-20 minutes baking
What you need:
For the sponge –
100g butter (softened)
60g golden castor sugar
120g self-raising flour
20 cardamom pods
For the icing –
100g melted chocolate (80% cocoa)
4 dessert spoons cream
4 dessert spoons golden syrup
100g icing sugar
For the chocolate sticks –
50g dark chocolate
What you need to do:
1. Heat the oven to 180C and grease a muffin tray.
2. Melt the chocolate for the chocolate sticks and dribble it onto baking paper in swirls. Place the paper in the freezer to set the sticks.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl.
4. Crack the eggs in and beat them in one at a time.
5. Add the self-raising flour 40g at a time beating it in well each time, allowing lots of air to be beaten into the mixture.
6. Split the cardamom pods with a pestle and grind the seeds as much as possible in the mortar.
7. Add the ground seeds to the sponge mix and stir them in.
8. Spoon dollops of the mixture into a muffin tray and put it in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Check they are ready by inserting a knife – it should come out clean.
9. Whilst the cakes are baking you can make the icing. Start by melting the chocolate.
10. Stir the cream and golden syrup into the melted chocolate, then stir the icing sugar in.
11. When the cakes are ready and have cooled pipe the icing over each one.
12. Remove the chocolate sticks from the freezer and stick them into the tops of the iced cakes.
I hope you enjoy them and that my instructions were clear!