There are lots of recipes for Dauphinoise potatoes and they sometimes involve cheese but this is the way I like them – super creamy with mackerel. My mother used to make this a lot and friends always love it when I make it for them. I had this the other evening with a delicious salad from Ottolenghi’s book “Jerusalem” – dates, almonds, thinly sliced red onion, baby spinach and lemon juice. The salad is so good that I’ve been eating it for lunch every day this week!! In the photo above it looks as though the cream has split, it hasn’t, I took the photo the day after I made the dish and it had been in the fridge. Not the best image but the sunlight is beautiful!
Takes 10 minutes to prepare // 1 hour 20 minutes to cook // serves 4
What you need:
600ml double cream
1kg new potatoes
3 dessert spoons of mustard with seeds
250g smoked mackerel
A large baking dish
What you need to do:
1. Heat the oven to 170C.
2. Wash and slice the potatoes into lengths and 2-3mm wide.
3. Mix the mustard into the cream.
4. Break the smoked mackerel into bite sized pieces.
5. Lay the potato slices in the baking dish overlapping and on top of each other with the mackerel spread about evenly and pour the cream and mustard mix over it.
6. Put the dish in the oven and bake for an hour and 20 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the potatoes are tender when you put a knife into them.