I love cooking but sometimes when I get home from work I just want to make something quickly and unwind – preferably with an episode of “Parks and Recreation” which has only just arrived here on the BBC and is so funny! So that’s where having something you can cook in under 30 minutes and simply cut things that are already edible comes in very handy. Cue new potatoes, a pack of smoked salmon and a pack of boiled beetroot.
I love the colours on this plate: orange, purple and the yellow of the ceramic!
This is a pretty healthy dish but then you can see in the photo below that I dolloped creme fraiche on it! Ha! But look how the white highlights the pink of the beetroot juice!
Takes 20 mins // serves 2
What you need:
400g new potatoes
250g cooked beetroot
200g smoked salmon (oak smoked if possible)
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
a few dollops of creme fraiche (optional)
What you need to do:
1. Wash and cut the new potatoes in half or into three if they are big ones.
2. Boil them until tender and you can stick a knife easily into them.
3. Whilst they are boiling cut the beetroot into bite sized pieces, cut the salmon into strips and place them together in a big bowl with the beautifully purple beetroot juice.
4. Drain the new potatoes and mix them amongst the beetroot and salmon in the bowl.
5. Drizzle a bit of olive oli on top with a touch of salt and pepper.
6. Serve and add a couple of dollops of creme fraiche if desired.